lunes, 27 de junio de 2016

Conditional Sentences

Conditionals Sentences

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/conditional-sentences



Exercises

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/conditional-sentences/exercises?05







Conditional sentence type 1:

         
                                                        If + Simple Present, + Simple Future
Use

Conditional Sentences Type 1 refer to the future. An action in the future will only happen if a certain condition is fulfilled by that time. We don't know for sure whether the condition actually will be fulfilled or not, but the conditions seems rather realistic – so we think it is likely to happen.

Example:
If I have enough time, I'll watch the football match.

I may have time to watch the match but I'm not sure about it.


Conditional Sentence Type 2:

                                                   If + Simple Past, + would + base verb

Often called the "unreal" conditional because it is used for unreal impossible or improbable situations. This conditional provides an imaginary result for a given situation. It is very unlikely that the condition will be fulfilled.


Were / Was

In conditional type 2, we usually use in the if clause "were" instead of "was" even if the pronoun is I, he, sheor it. "were" here is a subjunctive form.

Example:

If I were a millionaire, I would buy a castle.

Use

Conditional Sentences Type 2 refer to an action in the present that could happen if the present situation were different. I don't really expect the situation to change because it is very unlikely.

Example:

If I had a lot of money, I would travel around the world.


Conditional Sentence Type 3

     If + Past Perfect, + would + have + Past Participle

It is impossible that the condition will be met because it refers to the past.

Use


Conditional Sentences Type 3 refer to situations in the past. They express hypothetical results to past given situations.

Example:



If he had been careful, he wouldn't have had that terrible accident.

Sometimes in the past, he was careless. He drove so fast. So he had a terrible accident.


Exercises

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario